Saturday, February 14, 2009

True Love



On this the holiest of holy days for love, for lovers, I must take this opportunity to pay homage to clearly the best of the best movies about true love.....The Princess Bride. I love this movie. So sweet. So funny. Wesley and Buttercup had true love. T and I have true love.

The true love theme is evident throughout the movie, but if that was the only feature of this masterpiece it would prove boring. Instead we have characters. Perhaps my favorite is Inigo Montoya....."My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." Poor Inigo has spent his whole life studying fencing for the sole purpose of killing the six fingered man who killed his father. Then there is the giant Fezzik (played superbly by Andre The Giant). The rhyming kills me and the famous line "Hello Lady" is unforgettable. And perhaps the very best scene in the whole film....Battle of Wits between the Dread Pirate Roberts and Vizzini. I love the dizzying exchange between the two of them. Ahhh, how enjoyable.

True love is the central theme and the precious reply by Wesley to his beloved Buttercup, "As you wish" makes my heart smile. It all reminds me of my love, and like Buttercup I am certain that "he will always come for me." I have always said that I was blessed by God in that my true love was so easy to find. To think that our love might ever fail.....Inconceivable!

Happy Valentines Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment