Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pop! and the bubble has burst.


International adoption is not a game for the faint of heart. It is a long, arduous journey on a bumpy road. For a couple of weeks now I have been under a delusional hope that we were close to referral. Apparently we are not. Well, I guess that is not exactly the truth because we could be close, but most probably we are not. Does it get any more wishy-washy than that?

I can't blame it on our adoption agency because it is not their fault. Of course I would have preferred a more straightforward approach and perhaps more complete answers to my questions, but I do understand their position. The truth is that we applied to adopt from Ethiopia. We were immediately contacted by the agency because we were the first family whose profile fit their newest program in Burkina Faso. The agency was up front with us in the beginning and told us that they did not have all the answers. In fact they had none of the answers. We were the first, meaning no one had gone before us. No one. Burkina Faso was a new program for the United States. They have adopted to France, but never the United States. Therefore, the process is non-existent. We are the first....the guinea pigs if you will.

So back to now...we are at the mercy of Burkina. Currently, we have all our paperwork done. We are waiting. Just waiting. It could be tomorrow, but if I was a betting person, I wouldn't bet on it. I was just informed that we were looking at anywhere between 7 months and 12, but it could happen before that. My sincere hope is that we will have our baby home by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment