Friday, April 24, 2009

The 40 Perspective


Today is a milestone. I am 40. Yesterday I said goodbye to my 30's. I can't say I will miss them, or that I feel different today. Well, actually I feel like crap, but that is cold related at the moment and not a product of the number 40. Today I am wiser. I think I know myself a little better. Not sure that I like what I know, but have come to grips with my faults, and am determined, at least today, to change a few things. I had one of those rare moments of clarity. I finally understand me. In my 40 years I have been blessed beyond belief. I have been through some tough patches, but have always emerged on the other side a bit wiser and perhaps more appreciative of life.

My first blessing was my adoption. That great gift provided me with a family that loves me unconditionally. A mother and father that provided me love and support throughout my life. Who taught me life's lessons, instilled values, gave me faith. They made me the "me" I am. My sister provided me with friendship and love. She has taught me about selflessness, courage and strength.

T, the love of my life, my soulmate and best friend. Clearly a blessing from God. He has taught me the meaning of commitment and enduring love. He is a true and uncommon person. He has been through several life threatening medical issues. Very terrifying experiences. He refused to let the fear in and conquered his adversaries with determined courage and strength. His love of life and "fun" opened my heart and made me step out from my safe hidding place. He is phenomenal, as an individual and as a "better half."

The Empress. My shining star. My miracle. She is so precious. So special. She has brought such joy to my life. To our lives. Apparently God had a secret. Who would have thought...China? But we were led there, on a journey of faith. And she was waiting. Our daughter. She has taught me patience. My love for her is fierce, protective and undying.

I have health and happiness. I have love and family. I have friends, a job, a roof over my head and food in my belly. 40 ain't that bad!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment