Thursday, May 14, 2009

OMG....I am still trying to figure it out.


Last night was the two hour season finale of Lost. I love Lost. Tonight we FINALLY see Jacob. I would like to say this answered some questions, but alas it just raised more. An hour after seeing the finale I was in bed furiously googling all things Jacob. You see I thought I had a grasp on what this all meant. This morning it is fuzzy at best and once again I am confused.

After the show I was compelled to find out the signficance of the name Jacob....or if there actually was any significance. Jacob literally means - Supplanter or Usurper. Interesting, but still doesn't fit my big picture. I know of the biblical Jacob and was hoping to find an adversary to Jacob in the bible that perhaps I had forgotten about. The biblical Jacob was the son of Isaac. He tricks his father and steals his brother's birthright. Thus the meaning of the name becomes clear. However, still not seeing the pieces fall into place. You see, I am trying hard to understand the existence of the unidentified man....the man that later appears to be a living Locke....who finds the "loophole." At the beginning of the program we see Jacob on the beach watching a (very old) sailing ship approach the island. Then a man appears and their exchange seems to explain that Jacob has again brought people to the island, and that this is all perhaps a game he and this unidentified man play over and over again. Is this a struggle of good and evil. Are these two men God and Satan? I don't know. I think it may be something like that.

In the show Jacob appeared to all of the members of our little group prior to their coming to the island. Is this a struggle for the souls of the Losties between God and Satan?

Ahhhh, so confused. I love this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment