Wednesday, December 9, 2009

4 Years Ago Today.....


On December 9, 2005, I received a call from our adoption agency. The gal's name was Carrie, and though I had never spoken to her before, or since, her name is forever engraved in my memory of that day. She said she had just gotten our referral from China and she was looking at the adorable pictures of our new daughter. I was ecstatic. In the time it took her to email the pictures, I had called T and he was hovering over his computer across town. On the count of three we opened the email to reveal the most precious angel on the face of this planet...our daughter. We fell in love with that face four years ago and it is a love affair that will continue for a lifetime....for eternity.

When I told the Empress this morning that today was a very special day she mistakingly thought that December 9 was the day that we would see the precious face of our new child, that perhaps today was the day that all parents everywhere received the referrals of their children. Sadly, I don't think we will be seeing that precious face today. But, I will happily gaze into the Empress' lovely face today and until the end of time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is so heartwarming! I would just love to do such a thing, to adopt a child from overseas. Well, that possibly sounds flippant but we've been married for 8 years and no baby so we're sloly coming to realsie that we may eventually need to look at adoption.

    What made you choose overseas as opposed to local adoption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emm. To answer your question about why we chose international adoption over domestic...at the time it was easy. I am adopted and have stong feelings about the open adoption concept. Domestic adoptions are now almost always open and frankly, the thought of having another person (the birthmother), involved forever in my child's life makes me uncomfortable. Also, I saw a great need in China at the time of our first adoption. But, I have warmed to the idea of open adoptions and are currently considering moving to a domestic program for child No. 2.

    Thanks for checking in on my blog. I really, really enjoy your blog and check in regularly. I love London....lived there once for a couple months.

    ReplyDelete