Sunday, October 25, 2009

For The Love of My Family


Never thought I would have to google "Medical Alert Button." Never thought in a million years my family would begin to disintegrate in the way it has. I have posted about my mom and her tragic medical issues. My dad's physical health is, however, much more fragile, much more immediate, much more terrifying. Mom's health, though forever physically limited by stroke, has stabilized. And though my dad has had constant health problems for the past 20 years, it is as if suddenly, with my mom out of the woods, he has taken a turn for the worse.

My sister is a saint. Seriously. For the past year she has spent nearly every waking hour caring for our parents. It has been emotionally draining. For her sanity, it became increasingly more important for her to get a part time job. For 13 weeks she will work as a traveling nurse for St. James Hospital. It amounts to 3 days a week. It will give her the opportunity to use her nursing skills and give her a break from caring for the folks for a couple days a week. She needs this. We all understand this.

However, it is terrifying. For my sister and for me, and I am positive, for each of my parents, it is terrifying. And though we have home health come in for several hours on the days sis is gone, there are many more hours when they will be alone. So, a medical alert button is necessary.

Never thought it would come to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment